Accounting firms and tax preparers have long been targeted by foreign and domestic cybercriminals in attempts to access their clients’ data. Once accessed, bank account information, social security numbers and other private information may be stolen and used illegally to benefit the criminal organizations. The IRS routinely releases guidelines on how to stay protected against cybercriminals.
From the IRS:
Follow these steps, known as the “Security Six” measures
- Activate anti-virus software.
- Use a firewall.
- Use two-factor authentication.
- Use backup software or services.
- Use drive encryption.
- Create and secure virtual private networks.
Create a data security plan
- Federal law requires all professional tax preparers to create and maintain an information security plan for client data.
- The security plan requirement is flexible enough to fit any size of tax preparation firm.
- Tax professionals should focus on risk areas. These include employee management and training, information systems, and detection and management of system failures.
Be on the lookout for common email scams
Recognize the signs of client data theft
- Clients receive IRS letters about tax returns someone else filed using their name.
- More tax returns are filed with a tax pro’s Electronic Filing Identification Number than the preparer actually submitted.
- Clients receive tax transcripts they did not request.
Create a data theft recovery plan including
- Contact the local IRS Stakeholder Liaison immediately.
- Assist the IRS in protecting clients’ accounts.
- Work with a cybersecurity expert to help prevent and stop thefts.
JustTech works with many types of organizations including accounting firms with our managed IT solutions. We specialize in proactive support and enhanced security services, including:
- WAN/Network Security (advanced firewall protection)
- Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware Protection
- Redundant Offsite Backup
- Email Security
- DNS Protection
- 2-Factor Authentication Solutions
Just·Tech, a 2020 Inc. 5000 designee is a technology company and has been keeping more than 3,000 clients happy since 2006 in providing our Print Solutions, Network & IT Solutions and custom Xerox App Solutions.
Areas we support:
- Southern Maryland and Washington DC area
- Northern Virginia, Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
- North Eastern Virginia and the Northern Neck of Virginia including the cities of Fredericksburg & Stafford
- West Central Virginia including the cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton & Charlottesville
- South Western Virginia including the cities of Lynchburg and Roanoke
- North Central West Virginia including the cities of Fairmont, Clarksburg & Elkins
- WV/KY/OH tri-state region including the cities of Huntington, Charleston, Ashland and Portsmouth
Through our Print Solutions, we offer sales and support for Xerox multifunction copiers & printers. Just·Tech is a Strategic Xerox Partner and one of the top ten Xerox partners in the country. We also provide supplies & service support for HP, Lexmark, Dell and Brother printers. Currently we are managing thousands of copiers & printers making millions of copies & prints every month.
With our Network Solutions, we provide Managed Network Services & IT Support to hundreds of small businesses, non-profits and religious organizations. We specialize in proactive support and provide onsite & remote assistance.
Just·Tech is the first Xerox certified Personalized Application Builder Authorized Developer in the United States. With our App Solutions, we create custom apps for Xerox multifunction copiers that increase efficiency and improve workflows. Just·Tech is the exclusive reseller in the U.S. of the most affordable and complete print management app solution, PrintAnyWay. There are more than 60,000 apps that we have created installed on Xerox devices across the globe.
Contact us for more information.